1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lethal Weapon

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    From Deadline:

http://deadline.com/2018/05/lucifer-canceled-lethal-weapon-clayne-crawford-ouster-recasting-fox-executives-reaction-1202390233/

2. DavidJ

DavidJ Producer

David

It is strange. There were a couple of instances this past year that he acknowledged and apologized for, but they did not seem to me to rise to the level of a firing. Some guest stars and people that have worked with him before have come out in support of him too.

We watched an episode last night as we catch up on our TV viewing and I can't imagine the show without him. It will definitely not be the same show.

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Apparently, Damon Wayans was refusing to work with him for future seasons, after he got injured during a stunt on an episode that Crawford was directing.

Wayans was the bigger name, so Crawford had to go.

Thought Crawford's response to his firing on Instagram was pretty classy:
    LethalWeapon-Crawford-Firing.

4. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    Which makes his firing for supposed misconduct seem all the more out of place. Frankly, the more I see, the less convincing the stated narrative seems. Just my opinion.

CHEERS! :)

Doug Wallen likes this.
  5. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    Not sure if they can catch lightning in a bottle twice. Crawford's portrayal of Riggs was the best part of this show. Wayans seems to much like a standard sitcom dad. As I said, I will give season 3 a look see, but "I have a bad feeling about this."

Sean Bryan and Tony Bensley like this.
  6. Message #86 of 152 May 14, 2018
    Last edited: May 15, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Apparently, neither is Fox. Deadline is now reporting that, as an "insurance policy" for the network, the order for season 3 is currently 13 episodes instead of the standard 22 for returning shows on the fall schedule.

http://deadline.com/2018/05/lethal-weapon-season-3-renewal-casting-shakeup-shorter-reduced-order-fox-seann-william-scott-1202391155/

Presumably that could be extended with a back order if audiences accept the replacement.

Edit: Wayans has addressed Crawford's behavior on social media. I'm not sure why he felt the need to post this stuff after Crawford has already been fired, since it doesn't seem to serve any purpose now other than rubbing salt in the wound. But...

http://deadline.com/2018/05/lethal-weapon-damon-wayans-video-photo-shrapnel-injury-clayne-crawford-1202391156/

DavidJ and Tony Bensley like this.
  7. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Well, I already decided that I was done with the show after this news. But if I was on the fence or thinking that I’d still check out a few of the new episodes to see how it does, Wayans’ attitude here would seal the deal for me. Doneski!!

Riggs was the draw of this show, not the annoying whininess of Wayans’ Murtaugh.

I’m only one member of the audience, but I am a part of the audience and this whole things has completely turned me off to the show. I doubt I’m the only one who feels this way.

8. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well, people have to take sides in everything, but not me about Lethal Weapon. I don't know enough about that situation to comment either way. I'm looking forward to watching the next season to see if I like it or not. That's all I got to say about this situation.

9. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I would agree. I'm willing to give it a shot when it returns, but Wayans' tweets are definitely not helping things. His performance is not the main reason to watch the show.

Sean Bryan and DavidJ like this.
  10. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I just can't figure out what Wayans gains from the tweets.

He wanted Crawford gone. Crawford's gone. There is nothing more to be done, it's a dead issue. So why harp on the negative publicity?

DavidJ likes this.
  11. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Warner needs to muzzle him (or they may have already, as the linked article said his Twitter account was moved to private). All he's doing is alienating the sizable audience who enjoyed Crawford's performance and is upset to see him gone. They cannot lose very many of those viewers or the ratings will crater.

Jake Lipson and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  12. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Exactly. On set, Crawford might have been a nightmare and Wayans might have been completely professional. Certainly Warner Bros. thought Crawford was enough of a problem to fire him.

But Crawford's public statements have been all class, and Wayan's public statements have all been petty and nasty. In the perception game, Crawford's coming out way ahead.

13. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Most people that watch this show probably don't even know about the Crawford/Wayans feud. Obviously, there must have been some bad blood between the two of them.

14. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Producer

David Scarpa
    When the show started Wayons Portrayal of Murtaugh was ok , but the second season has turned him into a buffoon

15. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    Seemes like it started in the season opener when he lost his finger. Apparently the reattachment was so successful it was not mentioned. I think he lost brain cells during that procedure. :P

16. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Just watched the season finale. It would seem that the writers must have been informed there may be a casting change since they could go either way with Crawford based on the final scene. With the hindsight of recent events, it also gives double-meaning to a number of lines and scenes in the episode. Murtaugh about Riggs: "This guy pisses people off all day long." :blink:

17. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The story continues to get more bizarre. Variety is reporting that the "Lethal Weapon" production is firing roughly a quarter of the crew, because they sided with Crawford over Wayans in the dispute.

Neither of the leads come out looking particularly good from the article. One crew member summed up the situation by saying that “Damon is passive-aggressive" while Clayne Crawford is "aggressive-aggressive.” Crawford was more prepared and less diva-ish on set, but when his frustration reached a breaking point, he was verbally abusive and emotionally toxic. Wayans refuses to attend table reads and has nap time built into his shooting schedule.

The most bizarre detail is that the problems started with an episode directed by a guest director, who ultimately had to be let go from the episode. Multiple cast members went to the producers asking that he not direct any future episodes, but he's scheduled to direct two episodes in season three.

DavidJ likes this.
  18. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I've been following the news myself and I have to say that without the character of Riggs, the series won't last for much longer. Lethal Weapon has always been about the partnership or Murtagh and Riggs and changing that dynamic by killing off the Riggs character is simply going to doom the new season. Whether there is any truth to the on set problems or not, the studio should have simply recast the character with a different actor.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Yeah, the last four or five episodes of the second season are still piled up on my DVR. Given the casting change, this seems like a good point to cut bait since I watch way too many shows.

20. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Yeah. The first season is actually pretty good but I would cut bait for the series after the conclusion of the storyarc that ended the first season, I think it concluded with the first episode of the second season. But, I just don't care for Sean William Scott. He's not a good actor and after getting used to Clayne Crawford in the role of Riggs, I think Fox will end up canceling the series before the season is up.

It took me quite some time to get used to Clayne as Riggs and it's going to be a hard road for Fox trying to convince fans to continue watching with Damon Wayans. I'm just not a fan of Wayans, I never have been, and I think Fox left a bad taste in everyone's mouth by casting a new character. Without the character of Riggs, the series just doesn't have that same dynamic and introducing a new partner for Murtaugh just won't be the same.

Tony Bensley likes this.