1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Lethal Weapon

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Johnny Angell, Sep 23, 2016.

1. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I'm staying at a hotel for work that only gets a couple channels in HD, one of which being FOX, so I ended up watching last night's episode in spite of myself.

I thought they did a nice job with Sean William Scott's character, by not making him a clone of Riggs. There were several moments where Riggs would have done one thing, and he did something else completely. Even the PTSD they handle differently.

I bet the studio is furious. They went all in for Wayans, only to have him walk. In fairness to Wayans, it's been clear for sometime that he's been frustrated that this hourlong drama doesn't keep to a sitcom shooting schedule, so Warner Bros. had to know that this was a possibility.

DavidJ likes this.
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    Well there are a lot of attitudes you don't understand as we all look at things differently. Also, I haven't deleted my season record option yet so it might be that I just lose interest in it like I've done with The Blacklist and a few other shows. My interest in network TV shows has declined over the last several years.

3. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Absolutely. I was only speaking for myself and not to influence you. By all means, you do you.

However, I would also question why Wayans made this announcement today in an interview, just after the show came back, when there are a number of episodes still remaining to air (and be shot.) It certainly will change the mood on set, and may affect viewership (as you noted.) I feel like there might have been a more appropriate way to disclose that information.

We'll see what happens.

4. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I bet they're livid that he chose to make the announcement now, having only aired two episodes of the new season. That can only cause a ratings decline as viewers abandon ship.

DavidJ and Adam Lenhardt like this.
  5. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    I have been a fan of the show and the first episode is on the DVR waiting for me to check it out. Since I do not have an AVR in the rack right now I am holding off. Now am I understanding this correctly? Is Riggs cut out of Lethal Weapon? If that is the case I do not see this show working anymore! Without Riggs character it is not Lethal Weapon it is more like ? LAPD ? Getting my SR-8012 receiver sometime tomorrow so I will get around to the 1st show of the season soon.

6. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    Riggs is gone although he is a presence in the first episode. I thought the introduction of the new character was well done and there was some closure concerning Riggs. This latest news does seem to be put the final nail in the coffin. I just hope this series ends without dangling plot threads/cliffhanger.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Deadline has more on the Wayans situation.

More at the link, but I definitely think this was an unprofessional way to go about exiting on his part. And he is still under contract and has not been released from his deal.

http://deadline.com/2018/10/damon-wayans-lethal-weapon-exit-behind-the-announcement-fox-1202475725/

DavidJ likes this.
  8. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    There are not alot of tv shows that I actually watch so it would suck for this one to go away prematurely!

9. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    I watched the second episode and dammit if the show wasn't just as good as it's ever been. I liked Clayne Crawford and I have a feeling he wasn't the only problem behind the scenes (Wayans being at least partly to blame himself), but I was pretty impressed with Seann William Scott and liked his more cool, contained energy. Despite whatever prima donna behavior Wayans might bring backstage, he still delivers a finely-tuned comic performance and is an enjoyable presence on this show. Sorry if he's bowing out, as it probably means the end of the show, but it does at least seem like it could survive and thrive without the Riggs character.

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    I agree with your opinion as I totally enjoyed the second episode. I like Scott and wasn't a big fan of Crawford despite his last name.:) He was alright and it's a shame this show is probably going to end.

11. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Not sure what happened to cause the change and why the Rigs character was written out basically. Before the show even started just the thought that Lethal Weapon was becoming a tv show was going to bomb! But I tuned in from day one and a few episodes later I was not only sold but hooked! Then to find out Rigs was gone which seemed to me that you can not have Lethal Weapon without Rigs. But if you do not have Murtaugh and Rigs is gone can you even have a Lethal Weapon? Anyway the first two episodes of season 3 have been sitting on the DVR waiting for my shinny new Marantz SR-8012 to arrive. Well it did arrive and today I decided to catch up with Lethal Weapon. Yes there is a gaping hole between the seasons but the episode was still good. But besides the hole left between the ending of season 2 and the start of the new with no Rigs. All of a sudden new character out of left field and bam the season has begun. Moving into the second episode and it was just as good as before even factoring in how much I loved the Rigs character. It will be very interesting to see if this show is still here when it is time for season 4 and Wayan is no longer involved in the show? Will viewers be chased off with two major characters being gone or will the studio pull the plug before ratings can possibly sink the ship? I will continue to watch to see how the new story line develops and I am not ready to stop watching especially with the show still being good despite what has transpired!

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    If Fox wanted to continue past this season, I think they could recast the Murtaugh part without much damage. I don't think anyone is especially enamored of Wayans' performance.

I think it would be easier to recast Murtaugh than Riggs (and I think the producers were probably smart to make Seann William Scott a different character).

13. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Oh I agree as I believe that if they would have tried to recast Rigs in season 3 to a different actor it may have backfired. But the new partner is very Rigs like.

14. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Tonight's episode was my favorite in a long time. Having a kid immediately differentiates him from Riggs, because he has something to live for.

Once the show got past the shtick of Cole being a clueless father, I thought it went to some really interesting places. There are plenty of people in law enforcement and the military that have lawfully killed people. How to discuss that with your kid, especially a kid who is old enough to understand killing and its implications but young enough to still have some innocence, is a very tricky proposition. It had to be hard for Cole to tell her the truth. At the same time, their relationship would have been done, maybe for good, if he had lied.

I'm so used to thinking of Seann William Scott as Stifler, but he did really well with those dramatic moments.

15. Robert Crawford

Robert
    It was a pretty good episode and love the stuff between Cole and his daughter.

16. Dave Moritz

Dave Moritz Lead Actor
    Supporter

Dave Moritz
    Just watched episode 3 off the dvr today and good episode! I still miss the Rigs character but the show still has it IMHO so I will continue watching it. Will see what happens in season 4?

17. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Do you think there will be a season 4 with Wayans leaving? It would seem to be a major hurdle to swap out a second leading player in as many seasons.

18. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    I guess a lot would depend on the way he is written out. I wonder if they have time to determine an exit strategy or if the initial 13 are already complete. Have we heard if Warner/Fox will allow Wayans to leave?

I was not sure how well this change would work, but I have been pleasantly surprised by how well Cole has fit into the storyline.

19. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

20. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    Sure, but it will be following the hijinx of detectives Vance and Coy.