1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Magnum PI reboot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by jcroy, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Eve Babcock

Eve Babcock Stunt Coordinator

Eve Babcock
    I am really not into these reboots, because it is not good as the old want (as always)

2. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Thanks Adam. I have not seen that thread, or knew about it. I rarely look at the new season TV threads anymore.

It’s amazing there are so many reboots going on now! Hawaii Five-0, MacGyver, now Magnum. Not to mention Roseanne and Murphy Brown but at least those are with original cast members.

That new actor playing Magnum just doesn’t seem manly enough. TC and Rick appear too comical. Higgins being a woman doesn’t seem that bad an idea, but the gender switch is so often done.

3. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    The former USA show Burn Notice was very close to the Magnum vibe. I wished the producers for that show had been given a crack at the re-boot. A producer on Burn Notice, Nick Theil, was briefly on staff for season four of Magnum P.I.

4. Johnny Angell

Johnny Angell Played With Dinosaurs Member

Johnny Angell
    Was that the same "rich guy estate" as the original? I'm going to give this one a chance.

5. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    I'm enjoying the new S.W.A.T., other than Street's "mama drama" through which I generally fast-forward. I don't really have any recollection of the original series, so maybe that's a plus.

6. Nelson Au

The Robin Masters estate in the original Magnum P.I. is not in the reboot. The one in the trailer looks like a new mansion. It even looks CGI.

The original mansion called Anderson estate (Pohanu) was purchased a few years ago by a millionaire from Chicago. It went into disrepair from what I gathered and was to my horror bulldozed earlier this year. From what I read only the main House was demolished and the foundations remains. The House was built in 1933 and I always hate to see this happen to a house or building that has history. Though appearances in TV shows like Hawaii Five-0 and Magnum seems like a dubious distinction. But still it must have some history for Hawaii. Maybe the plan is to rebuild the house as it was if they saved the foundation, but why not just renovate and restore?

Tony Bensley and Johnny Angell like this.
  7. Nelson Au

I forgot about SWAT! Another reboot. That one seems to work OK. The show didn’t air that long. So it doesn’t seem to have as much cultural impact. I remember the original series though.

8. gadgtfreek

gadgtfreek Supporting Actor
    Supporter

Jason
    I was thinking crap, but the trailer actually looks pretty good.

9. ChristopherG

ChristopherG Cinematographer

Chris
    I enjoyed the trailer more than I thought I would. No mustache though...

10. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    From what I've been hearing about the Magnum reboot, I have absolutely zero interest in watching this crap. One of the episodes features Magnum looking for a giant fish for an old buddy of his that's worth $300,000. That's right. I have no interest in watching the show if it's these kind of hijinks that they are going for. But, like Adam said above, Magnum without a mustache is a crime against humanity. I don't have problems with Higgins being a woman but turning her into some expert ninja-martial arts master is just way beyond what this character is for. I saw the trailer and where the hell is Higgins anger at Magnum destroying the Ferari twice in the trailer?

Right now, the trailer just isn't selling me on this reboot. I don't think they should have recast the characters, they should have continued the series with his daughter (Magnum is missing and she has to go on a search to find her missing father).

Jeffery_H likes this.
  11. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    More important than the gender change is the change in age for Higgins. They are missing out on the generation gap that existed between Magnum and Higgins in the original. The fact that they developed a mutual respect for each other in spite of their differences was part of the charm. The actress playing Higgins now is younger than the actor playing Magnum.

B-ROLL, Jeff Flugel and tempest21 like this.
  12. JQuintana

JQuintana Second Unit

Johnny
    When I saw the commercial showing a semi truck ramming the Ferrari and Magnum jumps out of the car as it's being demolished and miraculously grabs the side mirror of the semi and survives it all like it's just another day I just rolled my eyes.

13. Nelson Au

I think that truck crashing into the Ferrari and Magnum jumping onto the helicopter was outlandish on purpose because it’s my guess it’s a fantasy playing out. Could be Magnum telling a story or TC or Rick telling an exaggerated story. I made that guess based on the shot of Magnum doing that jump from high altitude in the space suit.

Never the less, I’ve rewatched the original Magnum pilot after I saw the trailers. The original was good. Took me back to when I first saw the show and how different it was.

Agreed with the comments here. Some changes can be good for the modern audience. But some might not make sense to do. But it’s crazy to remake this show! Tom Selleck is Magnum.

14. tempest21

Mark
    Exactly. The reason why John Hillerman was believable as Higgins was because of his years of service in the British military and the fact that Magnum, Rick and T.C. also served in the military (during Vietnam), it added a very unique and distinctive feel to these characters that made them very relatable. While Magnum and Higgins often fought between each other, they both had a professional level of respect between the two. The core of the series often focused on the military experience that these characters lived through and without that aspect, in this reboot, it's going to be hard for the writers, directors and actors to convey that to the audience.

The Magnum P.I. reboot isn't like Lethal Weapon, these are two very different televison shows that are on different levels. Even now, Lethal Weapon is going to experience some harsh growing pains (now that they've written the character of Riggs out of the series; might as well rename Lethal weapon to "Law and Order"). Without that core identity of military service that was created for Magnum, Higgins, T.C. and Rick, the series is going to fall flat on its face if it thinks that it can attract the original fans of the original series.

Now, I have no doubt that I'll probably check out the first few episodes and so will a lot of fans of the original series but I just don't see this series doing any real numbers. They're attempting to reboot these old classic action shows into a full blown 'fast and furious' type of show and it's not going to work. I just have serious doubts that it would. What they should have done was maybe try this out on a series like A-Team or Knight Rider and then work their way up to Magnum. I just have serious doubts that this series will last that long.

Besides, they tried to do this with Minority Report, Limitless, The Net, Shooter and many others and they failed spectacularly. Many others were canceled in pre-production such as Murder, She Wrote and I Dream of Jeannie. Just because a reboot sounds good on paper, if you decide to change the characters in that series too drastically, the fans of the originally series could end up revolting against the show.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  15. Message #35 of 67 Sep 20, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2018
    Jeffery_H

Jeffery_H Supporting Actor

Actually, I agree with those basic ideas and others have expressed similar ideas on various sites.

What would've been a LOT better in concept is to have his daughter as the female lead, becoming the P.I. in place of her Father Thomas Magnum. In the original show, he in fact had a daughter that was about 10 years old when the show went off the air in 1988. That would make her about 37-40 now and was the SAME age Magnum was when he started the show. It's the perfect age, perfect timing and fits right into the story from the start. Tom Selleck could even do some cameo appearances as her Father as a mentor/advisor of sorts. Her training of course would've come from him and his friends over the years growing up.

Higgins often eluded the fact of rather or not he was indeed Robin Masters. He was not the type of person that needed to have luxury surroundings and often felt more comfortable being seen as the "care taker" instead and not the one that truly owned the estate. He could've left the estate to Thomas's daughter in his will, giving her reason to return to Hawaii for the reading of it and then encounters some sort of mystery like a key or something that was to be given to her at Higgins death. Hence her first case and then wanting to remain on the island for a while.

Just some thoughts that seem to be much better than anything they have come up with for this so called reboot. From what I have seen it looks over produced and more CGI cartoon goofy with little like what made the original such a hit show. Personally, I have little interest beyond seeing the first show and what travesty they did to it.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    It cracks me up reading all the badmouthing of this reboot. Chances are it's going to fail, but I'm willing to go along with the changes because I like to give it an opportunity to see if they can succeed or not.

17. tempest21

Mark
    I had the same thoughts about the MacGyver reboot when they kept showing Lucas Till as a long haired hippy. The online criticism got so bad that I believe CBS ended up re-filming some of the scenes in the reboot after they opted to give Lucas Till a haircut. he looked ridiculous as a long haired hippy.

18. tempest21

Mark
    I'm already dreading this reboot. From the plot synopsis I read, now the cast are POW's from the war in Afghanistan? There was no need to. The series could have kept its roots in the Vietnam War. Futon Critic has the detailed plot synopsis already up:

A charming rogue, an American hero and a die-hard Detroit Tigers fan, Magnum lives in a guest cottage on Robin's Nest, the luxurious estate where he works as a security consultant to supplement his P.I. business. The "majordomo" of the property is Juliet Higgins, a beautiful and commanding disavowed MI:6 agent whose second job is to keep Magnum in line, with the help of her two Dobermans. When Magnum needs back-up on a job, he turns to his trusted buddies and fellow POW survivors, Theodore "TC" Calvin, a former Marine chopper pilot who runs Island Hoppers, a helicopter tour business, and Orville "Rick" Wright, a former Marine door-gunner-turned-impresario of Oahu's coolest nightclub and the most connected man on the island. Suspicious of Magnum's casual attitude and presence at his crime scenes, Detective Gordon Katsumoto (Tim Kang) finds that he and Magnum are more alike than either of them care to admit. With keys to a vintage Ferrari in one hand, aviator sunglasses in the other, and an Old Dusseldorf longneck chilling in the fridge, Thomas Magnum is back on the case!

19. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    zzzzzzzzzz .... zzzzz ...... zzzz z zzz ... zzzz

20. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

Lokks like it could be good if it was another show. But he ain't Magnum. Tome Selleck had presence, this guy doesn't. I didn't even finish the trailer.

tempest21 likes this.