1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Magnum PI reboot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by jcroy, Oct 20, 2017.

1. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
    I'm a big Magnum P.I. fan and I thought this first episode was okay so I'll give it a few more episodes.

DavidJ likes this.
  2. Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I thought they did a pretty good job with this first episode. It was a true pilot with lots of flashbacks depicting the origins of the various characters. I noticed that the original series creators were given writing credits on the ep; and the title —“I Saw the Sunrise” —hearkened back to one of the most famous episodes in the original series. (“Did You See the Sunrise?”)

All in all — while I did miss Selleck in the title role — I saw enough to get me to come back for more.

DavidJ likes this.
  3. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    CGI run amuck again! Can we just get a good ole-fashioned series where the stunts are real, the action - pertinent to the story lines, and the characters, compelling because of their personality rather than their sex appeal. Let us be clear: you can have both personality and sex appeal. It's rare. But it does happen. Alas, for some years now, Hollywood has aimed its bow and arrow at any firm body, scantily clad and parading before the camera in lieu of personality.

Fun to ogle, maybe - but deadly dull once the sweat of excitement has broken. And that, my friends, happens about a minute after the initial 'wow' has worn off. Maybe even less, depending on when the soulless stick figure opens its mouth for the first badly delivered line of dialogue.

Jeffery_H likes this.
  4. Nick*Z

Nick*Z Supporting Actor

NICK
    Dear Robert:

I agree. The first episode was 'okay'. But 'okay' doesn't usually translate into 'must see' TV. Like you, I'm giving it a few more episodes to either implode or impress me. But I hunger for the days when a series opener had me so up and cheering I could not wait for the next 6 days to pass so that the magic could continue.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  5. Jeff Flugel

Jeff Flugel Supporting Actor

Jeff Flugel
    Yeah, it was OK. I appreciated that they kept the bones of the show essentially the same (and I esp. appreciated that they kept the theme tune).

Jay Hernandez is fine, a decent actor and seems like a nice guy. But Tom Selleck he is not. He doesn't have the charm or gravitas. The guys playing Rick and T.C. were likewise OK. I can't say I like where they are going with the "Higgins crushing on Magnum" thing. You know that's going to become yet another "will they or won't they" relationship, which we've all seen too many times by now. But for what it was, it wasn't bad. It's a perfectly acceptable current era action show, but nothing special.

Blimpoy06 likes this.
  6. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

Sounds like junk food TV. I skipped the premiere. I have CBS All Access so I figured I can binge a few episodes when I can have some time for it.

What I’m gathering is what has been happening a lot. They take the essential elements from the original and use them early on to gain some viewership from fans to endear them. But that uses up all their aces early on. The Sunrise title sounds like one example. I was thinking of Star Trek The Next Generation. They tried to steer away from the original series mostly until they had their own footing established. Then they started to bring in more of the original elements.

The new Hawaii Five-O had some elements that were interesting. I’m not sure I liked the subplots about McGarrett’s father. I stopped watching it a few seasons ago. Too many odd things going on with Kono and her gangster boyfriend.

By the way, I’m OK with junk food TV! When it’s tasty and I can’t eat just one!

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    It was junk TV.

The pilot wasn't bad but it's not Magnum. I officially despise Justin Lim for turning this series into a TV version of Fast and the Furious. Higgins now karate chops evil doers? T.C. finds an excuse to jump into action and go get his chopper? Rick wants to partner up with Magnum as his sidekick? Give me a break.

Midway through the episode, it was like someone in the production staff decided there wasn't enough throwbacks to the original series and basically said "why don't we get the dobermans to chase Magnum as a cool stunt"? The whole pilot episode was embarrassing. If they had just created this show without turning it into a Magnum reboot, remake or sequel series, it would have done just fine. But, these rebooted characters are simply not in character with their original series counterparts. Let it be known that I had no problem with Higgins being cast as a female character, it's that the story, or whatever, lacked the original charisma that these characters had in the original series.

Jeff Flugel and Bob_S. like this.
  8. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Does this mean you won't be watching any more episodes?

9. Keith Cobby

Keith Cobby Cinematographer

Keith Cobby
    Magnum wasn't based on a great work of literature where the characters could be reinterpreted by a new generation. It was Selleck. Just another lazy rehash which is presumably easier to get past the brass than an original (more risky) idea.

ChristopherG and Jeff Flugel like this.
  10. Elizabeth S

Elizabeth S Producer

Elizabeth S
    I tend to give Hawaii-based shows a chance (lasted about 3 seasons for 5-0). So I watched the recording last night and I was out when he stepped in the dog crap. I'm backlogged on too many good shows as it is.

11. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    I might catch a few more episodes and see if it improves. When it comes to a new TV series, I do try to give the show about six to seven episodes to catch my interest. Lethal Weapon and S.W.A.T. had won me over so you never know. But, Limitless and Minority Report kind of lost me a few episodes in. Over the years, a number of TV shows lost my interest because they deviated so far away from what the initial episodes set up that I just couldn't follow them anymore.

Like what happened with Legends of Tomorrow, the Arrowverse series. I loved the first season but it started to become a parody of itself and the other Arrowverse shows so I ended up dropping that series. Lethal Weapon lost me after the opted to kill off the character of Riggs (rumor is that Riggs was fired because of the fights between Wayans universe-sized ego and Crawford). While my interests in TV shows are easy to win over, it's also easy enough to lose my appeal with the show.

I was thrilled as shit when they canceled the reboots for Murder, She Wrote, A-Team and I Dream of Jeannie. Bewitched juts seems like a train wreck waiting to happen. I'd rather these studios just continue a series with the new generation rather than reboot the series with the same characters, hoping nostalgia will force fans of the original shows to tune into the rebooted series of the same name.

12. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    This first episode is a condensed one hour re-write of the two hour original series pilot. That's why there is a "based on the teleplay" credit for Bellisario and Larson on the episode proper as well as the series itself.

I think the post credit scene of Magnum surf skiing up to the property and being chased was meant to be the start of the episode and our introduction to Magnum and Higgins. The opening, and poorly written, exposition sequence that introduces everyone in five minutes seems to be a late addition. The episode credits not appearing until almost fifteen minutes in seem to support this.

The first episode stuck much closer to the premise of the original than I ever expected. It even seemed like Magnum's descriptions of each character came straight from the Wikipedia page of the 80's series. I'm not sure if that was a good move, since I can't separate the original actors from this new group. Maybe they will turn the roles into their own given time. I did like the actress that plays Higgins. Maybe because she is so different in age than her predecessor, she seems the freshest character to me. I'll give it another look next week.

Robert Crawford and Jeff Flugel like this.
  13. AcesHighStudios

AcesHighStudios Auditioning

Mike Williams
    Yes, they tried to steer clear of The Original Series all the way up till Episode TWO, "The Naked Now," where they just outright copied a classic episode and did so quite poorly. EPISODE TWO!!!

14. Nelson Au

Nelson Au Executive Producer

The Naked Now was one misstep for sure!

15. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Hmmm ..... Is the medical examiner from the reboot Magnum PI pilot, the same person as the current medical examiner in the rebooted Hawaii Five-0 ? It appears to be the same actress in both roles.

16. Robert Crawford

Robert
    One of the problems with the show is the casting of Magnum. I do like the casting of Higgins, Orville and TC.

17. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Second Magnum PI episode featured Kamekona (the shrimp food truck guy), and the McGarrett/Danno restaurant from Hawaii Five-0's 2017-2018 season.

18. Message #58 of 67 Oct 3, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2018
    Joseph Bolus

Joseph Bolus Cinematographer

I really enjoyed this second Magnum PI ep which felt like an episode of “Burn Notice”. The Higgins’ “date” was an absolute riot!

(Still miss Selleck in the title role though. At least we got an early mustache cameo!)

Also, they need to mix in more of the Magnum music with the action scenes.

19. Robert Crawford

Robert
    The last episode was pretty good. I like that Higgins will be more involve in helping Magnum.

20. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    Higgy PI

:)