1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Magnum PI reboot

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by jcroy, Oct 20, 2017.

1. jcroy

jcroy Producer

jr
    (On a tangent).

Wonder if CBS has any plans to do a Simon & Simon reboot.

IIRC back in the day, I use to watch Simon & Simon when it was on immediatelly after Magnum PI. If Simon & Simon was not on after Magnum PI back in the day, most likely I would have never watched Simon & Simon at all.

2. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
    Of course she is, since the whole point of making Higgins female is likely to eventually bring her and Magnum together romantically (if the series lasts long enough).

3. tempest21

tempest21 Stunt Coordinator

Mark
    Doubtful. Judging from the ratings from the previous episodes, it's only having lukewarm success, like many of the Fox TV shows. Magnum's premiere had something like 8.12 million viewers and the ratings continue to drop. The episodes that followed generated 6.23 million (episode 2), 6.08 (episode 3) and 5.48 for the fourth episode. If they keep sliding like this, it would be a miracle if it survived beyond the current season, and a miracle if it was approved for a second season. It's been on the borderline for me. But,m it doesn't feel like Magnum. I think Perdita Weeks acting comes off as forced, trying to fit into the role that John Hillerman fleshed out during his eight seasons on the original show. It just feels like it tries too hard. The series should have billed with his daughter playing the lead role with her father having retired from the Navy.

4. Doug Wallen

Doug Wallen Producer
    Supporter

Doug
    I'm enjoying it for what it is. I like TC and Rick, this Higgins has nice legs. Magnum is where it falls apart for me. He doesn't fit the character I remember. He can repeat the lines, run from the Lads and request favors, but it seems like everyone is trying too hard. Not sure if it is because of the short time each episode to tell the story, but everything just feels rushed like all involved have a checklist for each episode of what must be seen. I felt that the request for help this past episode were accepted to easily just because the victim was a friend of Robin's.

Oh well, my wife enjoys watching this one :rolleyes: .

Jeff Flugel and tempest21 like this.
  5. tempest21

Mark
    I know what you mean. I thought it was Perdita Weeks but now that I think of it. The big thing with me is when I think of Magnum, I think of him with that thick mustache. For the record, I'm straight, but, I remember a very special episode from the first season of the original series where Agatha Kimball hires Magnum to deliver a payment for her to protect a woman who claimed to be her grand-daughter but the grand-daughter was being black-mailed. The episode was "Don't Say Goodbye". Along the way, Magnum discovers that someone is trying to murder Agatha. It was the way Tom Selleck and Mercedes McCambridge were in scenes together. There was a hilarious scene in the episode where Higgins ends up hanging the phone up on her because he thought she was one of Magnum's floozies. She was very fond of Magnum's bushy mustache.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  6. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

My wife is a HUGE Tome Selleck fan. She happened to see a commercial for the reboot and was curious. I told her I saw a clip from the show and that this new actor doesn't come close to Selleck. I played her the premiere from on demand. She agreed with me and never finished the episode.

Jeff Flugel likes this.
  7. tempest21

Mark
    It just feels too much like a TV version of Fast and the Furious. But, I did hear that it was picked up for a full season. I think TV Line reported on it.