1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

NFL 2018-2019 Thread

Discussion in 'After Hours Lounge (Off Topic)' started by Carabimero, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Executive Producer

Malcolm
  2. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert
  3. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    I think it might be that way every game.

When the Eagles played there last year It seemed like it was 80% or more Philly fans.

4. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    Tony Gonzalez was on Cowherd today and pretty much pulled no punches talking about Haley.
    He essentially told KC to trade him if they hired Haley and I guess that's why he ended up on the Falcons.

5. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

6. Scott Merryfield

One trade that didn’t happen, as I thought, was Leveon Bell. At this point, I think it’s quite possible that Bell ends up sitting out the entire season. There may even be a gentleman’s agreement for Pittsburgh to not franchise him next season if he just stays away. It benefits both sides — Bell avoids injury and the Steelers get a 3rd round compensatory pick and a boatload of salary cap relief next season.

Malcolm R likes this.
  7. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Without a doubt, the Raiders are the worst team in the NFL. It would be a shock if they don't have the #1 pick in the draft. The defense is putrid and the offensive line has become a joke allowing Carr to be sacked 7 times last night. Speaking of Carr, he's a shell of himself from two years ago.

As bad as the Giants are which is awful, I think the Raiders are much worse with less talented players. What a fun NFL season for this Raiders and Giants fan.;)

8. Scott Merryfield

... but Robert, on the NFL website there was an article quoting Jon Gruden as saying there are lots of players who want to be Raiders. All is good. :P

Johnny Angell likes this.
  9. Message #89 of 103 Nov 6, 2018 at 12:59 PM
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2018 at 1:07 PM
    Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    So, there were some really fun football games this past weekend and that Saints vs Rams game lived up to the hype...but the biggest thing that came out this weekend is there is going to be more than one team trying to land Josh McDaniels when the Patriots season ends!

Holy cow, do NFL owners have short memories.

Apparently both the Browns and Packers are super interested in McDaniels. And the Ravens may consider entering the fray as well. And Aaron Rodgers himself is said to not only want McDainels but is willing to be part of luring him to Green Bay personally.

The Browns have already fired their head coach. The Packers brass are supposedly salivating over the idea they could land McDaniels and the Ravens are apparently considering parting ways with John Harbaugh and also would like a shot at McDaniels.

Word is McDaniels is saying he would have serious interest in the Packers or Browns jobs.

Oh boy!

10. Robert Crawford

Robert
    Never give these NFL owners too much credit. They'll hire anybody as long as the blowback isn't too severe.

Scott Merryfield and Reggie W like this.
  11. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    Probably true, Robert, but after what he did to the Colts and all those coaches he hired to go with him there I find it hard to believe people would trust him again so soon.

I mean if he signs with a team how do they know he will show up and why would anybody agree to be on his staff until he is actually in whatever city he is supposed to coach in?

12. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    Interesting, as I thought McDaniels stayed with the Pats as he wanted to take over when Belichick retires? I figured maybe there was some agreement behind the scenes in Foxboro that McDaniels gets the Pats HC position in "X" years when Belichick retires. But maybe not, if he's expressing interest in other teams again.

Don't forget that he was also HC previously for the Broncos and left there with a record of only 11-17 after he was fired in week 13 of his second season (of a four year contract), so he wasn't that successful. But NFL owners also seem to have short memories, as they pass the same coaches around and around.

13. Scott Merryfield

LeVeon Bell says fairwell to Miami. Ah, that Michigan State education is really paying off for Bell. :rolling-smiley:

14. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    I think many people thought what McDaniels was doing when he backed out on the Colts was agreeing to some kind of deal where he would take over the Patriots when Bill leaves or retires.

The thing is for McDaniels, his success there appears to be entirely tied to Brady...who apparently was a part of getting McDaniels to back out on the Colts. Brady really loves Josh and wanted him to stay. Now Aaron Rodgers seems to want his chance to have a love affair with Josh McDaniels...he has been secretly lusting after Brady's hot OC! The Packers are signalling they are going to fire McCarthy and if they do it before the season is over it is because they want to be ready to enter the McDaniels sweepstakes with the Browns.

McDaniels is an Ohio guy and has said in the past that is a place he would go to coach. Baker Mayfield is a QB that Josh really likes so that's a match made in heaven for the Browns. I think they expect a McDaniels/Mayfield pairing to be like McVay/Goff.

What does McDaniels have to keep him in New England? Sure, Brady is playing well but come on the guy is not going to play until he is 45 and they traded Jimmy to the 49ers so there is no guy in place to take over when Brady hangs 'em up. And the Patriots do not have a great roster. It's loaded with holes on both sides of the ball and is only held together by Bill's great coaching and Brady's continued ability to make the most of not a really good surrounding cast.

The Patriots are headed toward an epic rebuild...does McDaniels want to have to try that and risk looking like he did in Denver?

I think the much better option for McDaniels is to go to a place with a franchise QB in place he wants to work with, this favors him greatly in terms of possible success. So, the question for Josh, if Green Bay and the Browns are this serious about him, is which QB do you want to work with most? Do you want to coach the final years of a future Hall of Fame QB in Rodgers or go with the kid in Cleveland and try to turn him into a Hall of Fame player of your own?

I think Rodgers is pushing the Packers toward McDaniels as he is openly expressing his desire for them to fire McCarthy. So, will they get in a bidding war for McDaniels with the Browns? And will the Ravens, who seem to want to fire Harbaugh, get into this war as well as the rumors are they also would like McDaniels?

I don't think the Ravens are as much of a draw as the Packers or Browns...those teams just have too much to offer him. I mean the Ravens do have a young QB as well that McDaniels wanted the Patriots to draft in Jackson...but McDaniels also, I believe, rated Mayfield the best young QB in the draft...he just knew the Patriots had no shot to get him.

So, Josh will decide what QB he wants to coach more IF he actually goes through with leaving the Patriots.

15. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    If I were to give odds on where McDaniels will go I would favor Cleveland. The Browns have the young QB that Josh most wanted and a lot of potential talent on defense. Plus the Browns will draft high again in 2019 because they are playing poorly again.

The Packers have Rodgers and a really questionable defense and Rodgers is late in his career. So, if McDaniels went there it would be to try to help Rodgers get back to the Super Bowl, the Packers will never totally stink and draft in the top 5 with Rodgers at QB, so Green Bay would present more of a challenge to McDaniels. Plus Rodgers is a prima donna QB he would need to work and compromise with to do what Aaron wants...with Baker he would just be his guy that would do what Josh says.

16. Reggie W

Reggie W Producer

Pike Bishop
    And a funny typical Browns note...

If for some reason the Browns can't land McDaniels they have said they would interview Mike McCarthy.

I just get the feeling the Browns will throw the world at McDaniels to land him.

Rodgers is a wild card in the process though as who knows what sort of stuff he will whisper in Josh's ear to seduce him. Plus there is no owner in Green Bay so it is one of the best coaching jobs in the NFL.

17. Scott Merryfield

According to Ian Rapoport neither Bell nor his agent knew until a few days ago that Bell would have to be tagged as a QB at $25M next year whether he reports or not. I realize that Bell is just a dumb athlete, but how could his agent not know this? Talk about a case of “dumb and dumber”! If this is true, then I doubt Bell will be reporting by next Tuesday.

I think Bell’s been getting some terrible advice by his agent. He already turned down a contract similar to what Gurley got, and then is leaving $14.5M on the table this season, gambling that Pittsburgh would struggle without him. Instead, James Conner stepped into Bell’s role without missing a beat, putting a serious question mark on just how much of Bell’s success in Pittsburgh was talent and how much was the system. He very well may find that the offers next offseason will not be nearly as big as he was hoping.

18. Malcolm R

Malcolm
    I wouldn't hire him. Regardless of his talent, he's shown that he has questionable morals and work ethic. Anytime he feels things are not going his way, he just won't show up. His ego seems to be bigger than his talent, anyway.

And if he does report at some point, hopefully the locker room gives him the cold shoulder.

Scott Merryfield likes this.
  19. Scott Merryfield

Bell’s decision to sit out the season very well may supplant Ricky Williams choice to sit out a season to smoke pot as the worst decision ever by an NFL player.

Malcolm R and Johnny Angell like this.
  20. ponset

ponset Second Unit

scott