1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Panasonic 47" widescreen need risers?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Stephen Hopkins, Mar 23, 2003.

1. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

Yesterday I drove from Atlanta to Panama City Beach to buy a Panasonic 47" Widescreen HDTV from a fellow HTF member for $750. Amazing deal and I'm very happy w/ the set, especially after an hours worth of calibrating.

But I started to notice while sitting on my not-so-plush couch (came w/ the dorm/apartment) that I was looking directly at about 2/3 of the way UP the screen. I had to slouch to get what seemes to be the apropriate viewing angle. Today I went to Home Depot and got some cinder blocks and I have it sitting 8" higher and it's really close to the correct position, maybe an inch too high (I plan to make a drape to cover the blocks tomorrow. I'm veiwing from about 10 feet away.

Has anyone else w/ one of these sets, or similar, found this problem? I assumed since it had wheels that it was meant to be a floor set and not a table top set... Does anyone else out there have one of these sets on any kind of riser? If so, how high?

Thanks [​IMG]

2. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

anyone?

3. Kevin. W

Kevin. W Screenwriter

No need for risers with my Panny 47.. Guess it depends on the size of your couch.

Kevin

4. Tim Jin

Tim Jin Supporting Actor

$750 is a good deal. Did you go get it at gun point [​IMG]

Which one do you have, 42 or 52?

5. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

As I said in my original post, I have the 47" 16:9 Panasonic model 47WX49. I came across the deal from another HTF member who'd hit some hard times financially and needed to sell quickly. It was a bit out of the way to pick it up (4 and a half hours each way) but well worth it.

6. Matthew-K

Matthew-K Stunt Coordinator

I had the same idea as you. I raised mine 47/49 about a foot of the floor. I like to watch it a eye level or a little higher.[​IMG]

7. Chad A

Chad A Stunt Coordinator

I built a 14" or so riser for mine to accomadate the three rows of theater seats I plan on installing (only have two for now). It did the trick.

8. Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer

How does having it raised 14" affect viewing from the first row? When I get my TV home for the summer I'm going to have a 10" riser w/ a couch on it behind 2 recliners, and I would like a good viewing angle for the second row, but first row viewing is still most critical.

Thanks [​IMG]