1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Shows that changed over the seasons.

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Mysto, Feb 18, 2018.

1. Blimpoy06

Blimpoy06 Supporting Actor

Darin
    Seaquest The early 90's series set in the near future on a large Deep Sea Vehicle (DSV) starter out as a mostly science exploration show with some political overtones. Year two removed many cast members and replaced them with younger actors to appeal to it's target demographic. The show pushed for more SciFi and fantasy elements in story. Even more cast changes, and a new title Seaquest 2032, in the third year as most of the actors were very unhappy with the new approach in the show. The ship leaves the Earth to fight on another world and is almost destroyed. Then turns up 10 years later back on Earth and picks up a new Captain. The show went back to a more straight laced adventure show, but was cancelled mid season.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mysto

Mysto Second Unit

marv long
    Another series that comes to mind is the Magician with Bill Bixby. He lived in the plane with a full crew and then came back second season living in the Magic Castle (I guess he fired his crew :eek:)

3. Rodney

Rodney Screenwriter
    Supporter

They made the change mid-season of its one and only season. No firings, Anthony Blake kept Jerry, the pilot on staff, with no plane.
    Go figure.

4. ClassicTVMan1981X

ClassicTVMan1981X Supporting Actor

Benjamin
    Speaking of shows that had been changed from being filmed to being videotaped (i.e. Cheers, season 4, 1985-86), didn't Taxi ever have post-production done on videotape in its final years (the final ABC season of 1981-82, and the one and only NBC season of 1982-83)?

~Ben

5. Tony Bensley

Tony Bensley Producer

Anthony
    I didn't know that CHEERS was ever shot on anything but film. From what I recall of that 4th season, it looked filmic to my eyes. Perhaps another case of videotape post-production?

CHEERS! :)

6. Message #66 of 72 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin

Guess what? It appears season 5 of Taxi indeed has had post-production work done on videotape. It lists Bill Petty as videotape editor. These credits were taken from the syndicated version of the 1-hour "Taxi Celebration" clips special which, in its original form, aired on NBC March 23, 1983.

~Ben

7. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    The more likely answer would be that the credits were from the clip show "A Taxi Celebration" that was produced last, though not aired last.

ClassicTVMan1981X likes this.
  8. Message #68 of 72 Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    I already realized that. But I know the original Paramount Television logo at the end would've been the one with the taller peak on the original NBC airing; and this one doesn't have that version, so I know this is the syndicated part 1 version.

(the logo at 0:03 is what I see on this edit of Taxi, whereas the one at 0:12 would be the correct and only one for this particular episode when on NBC)

I'm starting to believe this 1-hour (two parts in syndication) episode is the only one to have been videotaped out of all the 113 episodes in the series.

~Ben

9. Michael Henry

Michael Henry Second Unit

J. Michael Henry
    I think a show that completely changed from season 1 would be Homeland...

The show that focused on the Nicholas Brody character really changed to focus on the Carrie Mathison character. I was stunned when they killed him off.

I wonder why the change in direction?

10. KeithAP

KeithAP Screenwriter
    Supporter

Keith

I thought that was clearly explained in the series…she committed suicide in an attempt to frame her ex-husband.

-Keith

11. The Obsolete Man

The Obsolete Man Cinematographer

Robert
    You're right, it's pretty clear in the UK edits. Maybe the PBS edits muddied the waters or just cut that bit entirely.

12. ClassicTVMan1981X

Benjamin
    It is likely that the first three seasons were all shot AND edited on film; then, starting with season 4, the show continued being initially shot on film, but post-production was now done on videotape.

~Ben