1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Good Place - Season 3

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Jake Lipson, Jun 19, 2018.

1. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't know anything about sports so I just found that was a real person over the summer. It sounded like too silly of a name to be real.

2. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Who would have thought that Jason's dad would actually make him look smart by comparison?

Bummed that they wrote Simone out. Hopefully she'll pop up again down the road.

As with so much when it comes to Florida, the truth is more ridiculous than fiction.

3. Message #63 of 84 Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    This wasn't my favorite episode. Seems sort of pointless to bring Simone in this season only to have her leave now like this.

As for the Jason plot, I think a little of that character goes a long way for me - and having half the episode focus on Jason, along with Donkey Doug and Pillboi, was a bit too much stupidity for me.

I did get a chuckle out of "Randy 'Macho Man' Savage Non-International Airport" though.

DaveF likes this.
  4. Message #64 of 84 Oct 26, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I think writing Simone out makes total sense. Firstly, as Chidi said, if he tells her about the afterlife points, she would stop being able to get points because her motivation would not be pure, and we know he's terrible at keeping secrets. Second, if they're moving on from the academic study storyline, she would really serve no purpose going forward anyway. This is just a case where the fact that the show moves so fast means that we get less of certain things than we might like, but I prefer the show moving along and reinventing itself more often than I wish it would stay someplace. Was she a good character? Yes. Did she need to stick around? No. I get why they would move away from her.

Similarly, I would have liked to see what Tahani told Larry Hemsworth, but this episode's story didn't really need that moment, so I get why they moved past it (although if they had shown it, that might have been a nice counterpoint to Chidi breaking up with Simone.)

I thought the episode had some hilarious moments -- especially the biting Buzz Lightyear line -- and I get why this was an important story for them to tell. But having essentially three Jasons in one episode means this is one of those cases where I was glad this story was contained in one episode and for the moving on quickly. Next week sounds a lot more interesting with the twist at the end regarding Eleanor.

Also, I feel like it's worth noting that we're heading into November. That means if NBC still had the half-Thursday Night Football season package, they would start airing soon and The Good Place would be on hold again until January. It feels so nice to actually be going right on through the season. I assume they'll probably break for Thanksgiving night, but I'm glad we still get to have the show continue running now.

5. Rob Willey

Rob Willey Screenwriter

Rob
    Those who have attended any of the HTF Hollywood Meets over the years might recognize the Randy "Macho Man" Savage Non-International Airport in Jacksonville was portrayed by the Convention Center of the Burbank Airport Marriott where we have picked up our van pool so many times to head to the various studio visits.

Matt Hough and joshEH like this.
  6. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Chidi and Janet with the breakup-simulator was good stuff, and they continue to find productive ways of milking Jason's outrageous stupidity. Amplifying it with Pillboi and Donkey Doug should have been insufferable, but instead it worked like gangbusters. Mitch Narito was downright uncanny in mimicking Jason's speech pattern and mannerisms.

"Once, he created a sport that was a cross between dodgeball and horseshoes, and everybody died."

I'm still crying from laughing.

7. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    In the simulator, I was waiting for/expecting Chidi to try the obvious "I'm breaking up with you because I'm in love with Eleanor," which wouldn't have been a lie if Michael and/or Janet had informed them of their history. Presumably he doesn't know that, but it would have been a logical thing to try anyway.

8. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Ok, I laughed at that one too.

9. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    I just discovered this last week (actually my wife did). I’m a fan of good TV-show podcasts. They’ve taken the place for me of movie commentaries, I suppose. And from what I’ve heard so far, I’m pretty impressed with TGP podcast.

10. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    My reaction to this episode was, “This is what The Good Place will look like in its fifth season when it’s just a regular sitcom.” It was fun and cute and advanced the story, more or less. But it wasn’t mind-blowing or jaw-dropping.

Well, except for “Bing.” That was awesome. :)

Greg.K likes this.
  11. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    I thought it was a superbly funny episode. Three "Jasons" was fine with me because each one of them made me burst out laughing almost whenever any of them opened their mouths. It was the Chidi breakup saga that barely held my interest. It had some clever bits with the snapping finger montage, etc., but I was glad to be done with it.

12. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    Gonna have to miss the new episode because of parent-teacher conferences 'til 8:00 tonight, so I'll be playing DVR catch-up late into the evening, here.

13. Message #73 of 84 Nov 2, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    I'm going to be as vague as possible because I'm the first one to post this week, which I'm usually not. I don't think I'm giving anything away that wasn't already foreshadowed at the end of last week, which is why I don't feel spoiler tags are necessary in this case. However, if you want to know absolutely nothing about this week's show, don't read this post until you've seen it.

Tonight's episode followed the same format as last week, with Eleanor and Tahani respectively taking their turn trying to save their loved ones' souls. But it worked because I thought it gave us lovely character moments for both, especially Eleanor. I also liked it more than last week because, with all due respect to the guests from the last episode, who all did a good job, I appreciated that we had the usual amount of Jason and not three times as many of him.

I also appreciate that The Good Place is a weekly show and not dropped in the Netflix-style season-at-a-time format because it gives us organic time to come here and actually discuss the episodes. Bingeing is great while you're doing it but I almost never like it at the end when I've burned through a show so quickly that I don't really have time to process it, and then have to wait an absurdly long time for new episodes. With a show like Good Place which is so dense with both plot and ideas, it really helps to have time to foster discussion around the show.

However, that being said, the last 30 seconds or so of this week REALLY made me want to see next week's show right now. They're good at always doing that, but I'm really excited to see how this particular twist shakes up the group dynamic going forward.

joshEH and Greg.K like this.
  14. joshEH

joshEH Producer

Josh
    "A police officer came to my home and told me that my mom had been accidentally trampled to death when she bent down to adjust her toe-ring at a Rascal Flatts concert."

Eleanor Shellstrop is such an interesting, heartbreaking, wonderful character, and I can't believe I can say that about someone whose write-in vote for a PTA election was "Bofa Deeznuts." Also, when Eleanor asks Michael, "Do you have a penis?", there's a set of wind chimes right behind him.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  15. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Yep, both main plots this week were interesting and involving and I greatly enjoyed the episode.

Jake Lipson likes this.
  16. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

What I liked about Eleanor's mom is that there was still a lot of the woman from the flashbacks of Eleanor's childhood. She had moved forward, as Eleanor has moved forward, but there was a continuity with the trashy person she was in Arizona.

In Hungary, Tahani's breakthrough with Kamilah was only possible because her journey thus far has allowed her to see outside herself enough to get a glimpse of things from Kamilah's point of view.

One of the things I love about Michael Schur shows is that he is deeply interested in human decency, especially from deeply flawed characters. His shows don't just try to make the audience laugh, they ask the audience to follow the characters' journeys. With most sitcoms, the characters in the last season are more or less the same people they were in the first season. Half-hour comedy thrives on reverting to the status quo. With Schur shows, the characters are never the same at the end of a season as they were at the beginning.

joshEH, Jake Lipson and Matt Hough like this.
  17. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

Dave
    All I really ever wanted was to know what it feels like to be human, and now we’re going to do the most human thing of all: attend a Halloween party!

5A2D5526-FB2A-433C-8231-E950D2200552.

joshEH, Dheiner, Matt Hough and 2 others like this.
  18. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    Surprise! NBC is shifting The Good Place's time slot in January.

Beginning January 3, The Titan Games (some game show hosted by Dwayne Johnson) will air from 8-9pm. Brooklyn Nine-Nine will air at 9pm beginning January 10. And The Good Place will follow at 9:30pm until it wraps its season on January 24. Will & Grace slides into 9:30pm after The Good Place ends. And Superstore will go on hiatus until March.

http://tvline.com/2018/11/08/brooklyn-nine-nine-season-6-premiere-date-nbc-thursday/

19. Matt Hough

Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Wonderful episode. The result of Eleanor's first look back for a few seconds had me gasping with laughter. What a GREAT sight gag!

Jake Lipson likes this.
  20. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Producer

Jake Lipson
    This was my favorite episode of the season so far.

Although I love that the show pushes itself forward so regularly, I have to admit I got nostalgic seeing the scenes in the neighborhood, and it made me want to go revisit season one sometime soon. Anyone else feel this way?

Matt Hough likes this.