1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

The Walking Dead - Season 9

Discussion in 'TV Shows' started by Adam Lenhardt, Jul 5, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Hollywoodaholic

Hollywoodaholic Edge of Glory?

Wayne
    She has another series lined up.

2. johnnybear

johnnybear Agent

John Harley
    Yeah I'd heard that but if she's mended her fences with the TWD suits..?
    JB

3. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

Season 9 title sequence:

I love it. A complete departure from the credits for the first eight seasons, that feels of a piece with the franchise's comic roots.

Also nice to see Katelyn Nacon (Enid) and Tom Payne (Jesus) promoted to the main titles.

Greg.K and Hollywoodaholic like this.
  4. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Yes, that's a wonderfully creative new open. Hopefully it bodes well for a better season. I'll stick it out since I watch with my son and we have a fun ongoing commentary throughout, plus a good friend is the storyboard artist for this season.

5. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    I notice "THE WALKING DEAD" title doesn't seem to look so decayed, there is green in it. Mold, or a coming new growth?

6. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    Sam Posten likes this.
  7. Sam Posten

Sam Posten Moderator

Sam Posten
    If
    Gregory is still alive
    F this show.

8. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Man, that was awful. Don't even care who survives at this point. All I know is the people that complained about Negan should be clamoring for him at this point as he's the only interesting character left in the show.

9. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

The new showrunner earned points with me by finally solving Hilltop's Gregory problem. A character that long outstayed his welcome.

It's also good that they're acknowledging that Sanctuary is not well-suited to being a colony. It was designed to be a fortress and an imperial capital, not a self-sustaining community. Rick is trying to prop it up via a Marshall Plan from its former vassal states, but that only goes so far. The United States after World War II was experiencing unprecedented prosperity, so it could afford to be generous. None of the communities have that much breathing room.

The idea of studying and replicating pre-industrial equipment is an interesting one, and the sequence in with the wagon in the museum was an effective one. But I'm pretty sure none of the museums on the national mall have a glass floor like that one.

It's nice to see that a) society is devolving back to the horse and buggy days, and b) Sanctuary is producing ethanol, thus explaining how vehicles continue to run years after the gasoline would have deteriorated or run out -- though somehow I doubt Darryl's motorcycle is a flex-fuel vehicle.

TravisR likes this.
  10. MarkMel

MarkMel Screenwriter

Eh, this show is just eh now. Could be a desensitization to the zombie type threat. Could be that this theme doesn't have long term staying power without evolving into some other story type. But at this point, there should be no stupid deaths to walkers. They know how they move, they know their motivation. They have all the time in the world, they don't need to rush into doing anything. And yet, there is this fake urgency they are trying to build and oh no, who will die?

Also, if there was a glass floor in a public building like that, you can be sure it would be rated to carry a load many times the weight of people standing on it. If real I bet you would be able to drive a truck over it, it wouldn't break from the weight of a Conestoga wagon.]

I do like that they are showing how they are going to try to live and set up society now. But it will be interspersed with stupid DBZs (Death by Zombie)

Sam Posten likes this.
  11. Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I really like the new opening animation. How cool would it have been to have something like that for previous seasons?

Kind of a slow start to the season, though I can cut some slack due to the need for setting up the new world order.

I'm not even sure why they're keeping the Sanctuary going, other than maybe nobody else wants to take former Saviors in, but forcing the other communities sacrificing to support them isn't any better for morale. I can see wanting to use the location for industrial potential but it doesn't need to be a colony. Move the majority of the Saviors someplace else, or find a new location for them.

12. ScottH

ScottH Producer

Scott Hanson
    Adam, I think you put more thought into your commentary than the writers of the show put into the script.

13. johnnybear

johnnybear Agent

John Harley
    Well hopefully I'll see when it premieres on Fox tonight! :)
    JB

TJPC likes this.
  14. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Assuming they follow the comics, he is
    dead.

Sam Posten likes this.
  15. Message #35 of 59 Oct 9, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2018
    Greg.K

Greg.K Screenwriter

Greg K.
    I'm assuming we don't have to keep spoilerizing that bit of speculation now. Gregory was in the "In Memoriam" montage on Talking Dead. So I don't think they're trying to make there be any kind of question that he isn't dead.

Though given what this show has done before and the timing of when Maggie said to cut him down, I was sort of wondering the same thing while watching it.

TravisR likes this.
  16. Hollywoodaholic

Wayne
    Sam Posten likes this.
  17. Tommy R

Tommy R Supporting Actor

Tommy
    I'm one of the few who liked the Negan era, but this season premiere was just not interesting at all. It feels like some of the worst examples of how bad Fear can be.

TravisR likes this.
  18. Paul D G

Paul D G Screenwriter

Just a couple thoughts:

That glass floor sequence really annoyed me. As someone else pointed out, that floor, being in a museum in Washington DC, must be rated for thousands of pounds to carry the weight of a hundred people or so walking on it every day. There's no way it would crack like that. I'm willing to suspend belief but some things are just too ridiculous to accept.

It was my impression at the end of last season that Maggie really hated Rick for letting Negan live and wage war against him.

The trailers for this season did nothing to make me excited for this season. In fact, after the awful second half of FTWD I had zero excitement on the premiere. I almost forgot it was on.

19. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

Yeah, I can even give them a pass for this episode since they're essentially starting the story over for the first time in years and hope that now that they've started to establish things, they can do something cool with future episodes. I think I'm most interested in seeing what they do with the show after some characters (to keep it spoiler free) leave this season.

20. Adam Lenhardt

Adam Lenhardt Director

I do think the show continues its decline, ratings-wise, but the numbers in this case are misleading. AMC made the premiere available a day early to people who sign up for its commercial-free streaming app AMC Premiere. Apparently, AMC is really happy with the number of signups they got.