1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

Time Tunnel on Blu

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by bigshot, Oct 9, 2015.

1. stringbean

stringbean Stunt Coordinator

Snorbitz
    I just placed my order too. Amazon Prime customer so free 'Same Day Delivery', so I'll receive mine this evening here in the UK,..yippppeeee! Can't wait. Seriously, I'm like a kid again, really excited for this one. An early Christmas present to myself. :banana:

BobO'Link and Jeff Flugel like this.
  2. Message #62 of 129 Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
    Currently $42.11 at Deep Discount -- but out of stock. Maybe because it doesn't actually release until this Friday?

I've never watched all 30 episodes on the DVD sets I bought years ago, but this Blu-ray looks pretty darn beautiful. This, and upcoming Outer Limits Season Two on Blu-ray ... time for an end-of-year treat.

3. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Wow!! I just noticed that for you guys in the US you have a release date of 9th November if Amazon (US) is anything to go by. Here in the UK it's released today.

4. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    ^Yeah... I thought that odd as new release day is normally on a Tuesday in the US. It must be due to it being an import that it'll be Friday instead.

I'm *this close* to ordering from DD using the current 10% coupon code but may hold out for a slightly better one in the coming weeks and hoping that pre-order price sticks around a while. It usually does... But $37.90 (shipped - with the coupon code) is pretty hard to pass up...

5. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Just received my copy from Amazon. It's nearly 9pm at night here in the UK. Ordered this morning so not bad at all.

This isn't a proper review but just a quick look.

Playing the first episode now as I type this, Rendezous With Yesterday. I was a bit worried about picture quality at first because the film stock in the opening scene didn't look like it was cleaned up, much the same as my DVD. However, once the opening credits started and the show begun proper the picture looks absolutely gorgeous considering the age of the series.

The various computer lights and dials on the sets look great!

The format is in its correct 4.3 aspect ratio and the 'Next Week' teaser trailers are still properly in tact at the end of the episode. Unlike the R2 set released by Revelation some years ago.

There are 7 discs in all with the 7th disc dedicated to Extras.

One thing that's a bugbear for me is that when the episode finishes, it plays the next one automatically, it doesn't go back to the menu. There's a Play All' button and an Episode selection.

Such a shame there is no nice little booklet with this set.

6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    I've had other TV collections that do that, though usually on DVD. I think it's an authoring shortcut. They figure people want to binge episodes so they automatically play the next in line. A "play all" button would always go back to the first one and they figure people want to pick up where they left off.

bmasters9 and Jeff Flugel like this.
  7. stringbean

Snorbitz
    I usually only like to watch a single episode at a time so this is the first for me on a Blu-ray where even selecting an episode under, 'Episode Selection', will continue onto the next episode without simply stopping and going back to the menu.

8. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    Well... "they" figure wrong. If there's a "Play All" menu option then I fully expect that selecting a single episode will take me back to the episode select menu when it's finished playing. I call it lazy authoring.

That's rather disappointing that this set does that - but I'm not going to let that, or lack of a booklet, stop me from making the purchase.

Jack K likes this.
  9. Gordiac

Gordiac Auditioning

Gordon
    My usual question: are there English subtitles?

10. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    I just received my shipping notice from DD :dance:

stringbean likes this.
  11. stringbean

Snorbitz
    Just checked my set and yes, there are subtitles but crikey, the text is rather small. Yellow text without any kind of colour background to make the text stand out even better.

Gordiac likes this.
  12. Gordiac

Gordiac Auditioning

Gordon
    Thanks. That'll apparently be the last deciding factor for me on the subject of ordering this one.

13. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    There is a screen shot of the subtitles at the dvdbeaver site linked above.

14. PianoPlayer

PianoPlayer Stunt Coordinator

Larry
  15. bmasters9

bmasters9 Cinematographer

Ben Masters
    Sort of like that Mr. and Mrs. North DVD release I had a time back?

16. B-ROLL

B-ROLL Screenwriter

Bryan
    Amazon is clearly bi-polar ;)
    Under the same listing linked

17. Harry-N

Harry-N Cinematographer

Harry N.
    This, I'm nearly certain, is one of the flaws of the computer age - the ability to copy/paste. Rather than have someone writing blurbs for items on Amazon, they copy/paste whatever someone else has written to use as their "description". At one time, this was likely supposed to be a Region B edition, and that info got listed in someone's early description. Somewhere along the line, it was decided that this would serve as a Region Free release. Amazon had copied/pasted the prior info, and we have what we have today.

TIME TUNNEL on Blu has been a long-time coming, I forget how many years ago it was announced. It started out as a supposed minor upgrade with the simple transfer of the existing DVD episodes upgraded to Blu-ray as the medium. I believe part of what Revelation Flims was going to do with this release was to fix what they'd broken in the DVD version and re-establish the teasers to be at the end of each episode rather than as a separate "extra". By putting the DVD masters on Blu-ray, they probably thought it would entice a few unsuspecting souls that this was an indeed a worthy upgrade.

As time passed and release dates kept getting pushed farther into the future, Revelation managed to seek out the true HD masters for these prints in order to make a true Blu-ray High Definition experience. And that took even more time. Somewhere in this process, they must have decided to make this a Region Free release. According to DVDBeaver, it is. The fact that Amazon has copied/pasted old info is an unfortunate reality of this age.

The sale of a "third rate, cancelled, one-season wonder, television show from the 60s" hasn't rated anyone's attention in fixing the description.

I've received finally a shipping notice that my copy will be here in the US an in my mailbox on Tuesday the 13th. Once I've gotten the set and am satisfied that it is indeed Region Free (I have no capabilities of playing any other region), perhaps I'll notify Amazon if the error of their ways.

PianoPlayer likes this.
  18. BobO'Link

BobO'Link Producer

Howie
    It's the region free version. They just have it listed incorrectly.

UPC: 5027182615711

I previously looked it up via camelcamelcamel to verify the UPC and check it against other sites - who all have it listed properly as region free.

Deepdiscount has it cheaper (currently $42.61) and there's a 10% off coupon if you order a couple of other DVD/BR/CDs with it. It shows to be OOS currently but today is the "official" US release day so they'll likely have stock soon.

Kyrsten Brad likes this.
  19. Richard V

Richard V Cinematographer

Richard
    A little off topic, but did anyone see the Time Tunnel reboot pilot from 2002? It was included I think as an extra on the second season DVD set. I thought it was terrific and sadly, never got picked up by Fox. It would have been a great series. Fox instead decided to go with a little show called Firefly. Anyone heard of it? :P

20. cinemiracle

cinemiracle Supporting Actor

Peter
    Yellow subtitles are superior to having white subtitles which are often unreadable if the background picture is white-which is common. In Australia, our free to air government SBS channels (3) always have yellow subtitles as they screen an enormous amount of movies and television series from around the world. ( We are so lucky in this respect).They not only do their own subtitling but also for other countries when requested. They always have yellow subtitles as that is the only way to go. White is so passe.